To receive advanced notice about new listings in Port Credit, or to get a free evaluation of your home please complete the form below.
Port Credit is located south of the QEW from Mississauga Road to Cawthra, and south to Lake Ontario.
There are always lots of things to do in Port Credit. There is an arena, a library, two marinas, parks, walking trails, rowing clubs. Many people come to the area to walk, bike or rollerblade through the parks and enjoy the great access to the waterfront. Each year there is a jazz and blues festival called the Southside Shuffle.
The heart of Port Credit is its harbour at the mouth of the Credit River. Once a working fishing port and a regional trading centre for grain and other agricultural products, the Port Credit Harbour has seen many roles in the community. Today the harbour has been redeveloped into a marina on the east bank and a charter fishing centre and public boat launch facility on the west bank under the lighthouse
The first permanent structure to be built in the village was the Government Inn (1798-1861), once located on the east bank of the River. It was used as by travelers visiting the area by land and lake. The Inn was leased to a succession of residents until its destruction by fire.
The village plan was laid out in 1834 and for several years, Port Credit was a thriving harbour community. It acquired the status of "police village" in 1909, town status in 1961.
Late in the 19th century Port Credit became known for its stone hooking trade. For years, a unique vessel called a "stonehooker" plied the waters of Lake Ontario, near the shore, collecting stones for use in local building trades.
Other industries such as the St. Lawrence Starch Works (1889-1989) and the Port Credit
Brick Yard (1891-1927) provided employment for many local residents. In 1932 an oil refinery was built on the old brick yard property. It was run by several operators until being purchased by a division of Texaco. The plant was closed in 1985
In 1960 the Don Rowing Club moved to the banks of the Credit River, building both a number of buildings over the years as well as many champion Canadian rowers and scullers.
The a Lake Bulk freighter called RIDGETOWN (launched June 24, 1905 as WILLIAM E. COREY) has been a signature structure of Port Credit. Since June 21, 1974, when the she was loaded with stone and, with her cabins and stack still in place, sunk as a breakwater for the Port Credit Harbour. She remains there today.
The Port Credit arena was constructed between September 10 1958 and the official opening on October 4, 1959. Built for $360,000, it is the second covered arena in the current city of Mississauga, the first public arena built, and is the oldest surviving arena in the city. The Arena has been home to countless sporting and social events, a well loved landmark and symbol of community spirit. It is the home of the Port Credit Storm hockey teams.
Real Estate in Port Credit, Mississauga
Housing in Port Credit ranges from rental apartments, townhouses, a mix of older homes to new and renovated luxury custom built homes on large lots.
Port Credit has many shops and restaurants located along Lakeshore Blvd. As well there is a plaza with lots of shopping including a grocery store and bank. You will find a lot of art galleries here as well.
The Port Credit Go station is located along the Lakeshore line. Mississauga Transit buses run through Port Credit. Access to the QEW is from Hurontario and Mississauga Road.